As Senior Legal Counsel - Africa, you will be responsible for providing high quality strategy, risk-assessment based legal advice to the company’s Africa Team, contributing and supporting the achievement of the company’s goals in the region. You must also provide practical and timely problem-solving solutions aiming the best economic result for the company.
- Responsible for all legal matters arising within the African assets.
- Management of day-to-day corporate governance, legal secretary requirements and entity management of the African entities.
- Operational support of the African business, including supporting other functions such as environmental, insurance and regulatory.
- Provide legal and strategic advice to operations, business development, and Company management, including about applicable legal requirements (under law, regulation, or contract), contractual rights and obligations, legal risk and mitigation, regulatory developments and requirements, and labor and employment matters.
- Overall management of the existing contractual structure of the African projects, including monitoring and implementation of corrective actions; track compliance of existing contractual requirements; support of pre-contentious or contentious situations.
- Supporting the General Counsel Thermal Division in legal operational matters arising for Thermal assets within the region.
- Ensure compliance with the company’s internal policies and procedures, including providing support for the Compliance function and its activities.
- Negotiation, preparation, amendments to and implementation of project contracts (i.e. PPAs, O&Ms, TSAs, EPCs, etc.).
- Support on development activities (M&A and project development) and financing/project financing in Africa as needed; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- English and French fluency required.
- At least eight to ten years of experience in law firms and/or corporations
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, litigations, labor law, etc)
- In-depth understanding of how legal issues affect organizations
- Ability to develop legal strategy and objectives
- Well-versed in how business operates with financial acumen
- High degree of professional ethics, integrity and gravitas
- Excellent judgment and analytical skills
- First class interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to “see around the corner”
- BS degree in Law or J.D. degree with knowledge of compliance
- MA or BS in Business Administration will be considered an asset
- The candidate should be able to organize and work methodically in a true multi-cultural environment within a decentralized organization and a rapidly growing group.