Adolescents and Youth are at the core of the UN agency’s Vision for a Transformative Agenda. The UN agency works with the government and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) to ensure access to adolescent-friendly sexual and reproductive health information and services, and age-appropriate comprehensive sexuality and gender equality education. Through Comprehensive Sexual Education (CSE) Programme the UN agency develops a multi-pronged approach to building healthy relationships for promoting positive gender norms and meeting the sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) needs of adolescents and youth in Senegal as well as other existing / upcoming complementary projects. The Program will break through the taboos around Gender norms and SRHR for adolescents and will focus on respectful, equal, consensual and healthy relationship building.
Under the direct supervision of the RH/FP Specialist, the Adolescent & Youth SRHR Specialist works closely with the Youth Networks across the country and beyond. S/he contributes to the overall goal of Sexual and Reproductive Health and Reproductive Rights in Senegal. S/he is responsible for overall management and coordination of the UN agency programme on Adolescents and Youth. The Adolescents and Youth programme cuts across the UN agency other programme components of Gender, and Population and Development (P&D). The incumbent is expected to coordinate closely with these units in the Country Office.
Programme Management and Coordination
- Take overall responsibility for managing the Adolescent and Youth development programme, including comprehensive sexuality education and overall life-skills ;
- Keep abreast with the UN agency global and internationally research and agreed norms, standards and innovations in advancing adolescents and youth development, especially in the field of sexual and reproductive health and rights ;
- Scan the fast-changing environment to guide the UN agency positioning in new thematic areas in youth in accordance with the UN agency Youth Policy;
- Identify and actively participate in technical discussions from national and international communities of practice ;
- Advocate for the UN agency youth development strategies to be mainstreamed in national development documents so that domestic youth related resources contribute to the UN agency global results ;
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with partner agencies and civil society organizations involved in and supporting the adolescent and youth programme ;
- Mapping and engaging with stakeholders and potential donors in the field of youth and demographic dividend ;
- Coordinate with other the UN agency Programme units ensuring the required synergy and linkage of the different project components to achieve the UN agency Country Programme Results ;
- Ensure the timely development and implementation of evidence and results-based annual work plans (AWPs) with Implementing Partners of the UN agency ;
- Be accountable for financial resources allocated to the Adolescents and Youth Programme; carry out budget projections, closely monitor expenditures, conduct regular budget reviews and analyze related financial reports; ensure proper compliance with the UN agency norms and procedures for the utilization of funds ;
- Prepare procurement plans where required, with distribution lists of equipment and supplies and make necessary follow-up to facilitate timely and efficient delivery.
Technical assistance (TA) coordination and technical backstopping
- Liaise with relevant Government institutions and Implementing Partners to assess, identify technical assistance (TA) needs and facilitate capacity building in close collaboration with the UN agency SRHR / Gender teams as pertinent ;
- Identify, document, and disseminate lessons learned and best practices related to the UN agency Senegal’s programming in adolescents and youth ;
Monitoring, Evaluation, Model building, Scale-up, and Reporting
- Take overall responsibility for monitoring and supervision of the programme planned activities in order to identify best practices as well as constraints / implementation bottlenecks to inform follow-up actions ;
- Undertake regular field visits to monitor the quality and timely implementation of program activities, as well as arranges periodic program review with counterparts and other partners;
- Ensure that routine data / information are collected and analyzed with engagement of adolescents and young people ;
- Ensure timely and quality reporting requirements both financial and programmatic are met.
Supervision and performance management (Project personnel and junior staff)
- Lead the UN agency Adolescent and Youth Programme and team and ensure high standard of staff management within the team using a participatory style ;
- Supervise, mentor and coach team members in order to strengthen or further develop their capacity. This includes the implementation of the UN agency performance management system for his/her direct reports ;
- Ensure that regular team meetings take place and are recorded.
Carrying out any other relevant activities/responsibilities as assigned by the Representative’s Office
- Advanced university degree in Public Health, Medicine, Social Sciences or other related fields.
- Five (05) years of professional experience in programme/project management ;
- Practical experience in ASRHR, gender, and/or adolescent development programmes.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination and liaison with government and civil society counterparts, UN agencies, private sector, development partners and CBOs ;
- Proven ability to communicate with, engage and motivate adolescents and young people ;
- Solid knowledge on ASRHR and gender, particularly in the context of Senegal, which includes development challenges and underlying socio-cultural factors.
- Excellent understanding of results-based management and human rights-based approach to programme design and management ;
- Initiative, strong conceptual and analytical skills, sound judgment, liaison skills, negotiation skills, administrative and management skills, organizational skills, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills, advocacy and public speaking ;
- Fluency in French and working knowledge of English are required.
- Exemplifying integrity.
- Demonstrating commitment to the UN system.
- Embracing cultural diversity.
- Embracing change.
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda.
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships.
- Delivering results-based programmes.
- External and internal relations and advocacy for resource mobilization.
- Achieving results.
- Being accountable.
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen.
- Thinking analytically and strategically.
- Working in teams.
- Communicating for impact.